After returning from Iceland I've read a few books about the country and I believe it's in Sarah Moss's excellent Names for the Sea where the author remembers one of their local friends mentioning "foreign rain" during a downpour, meaning heavy, pounding rain as opposed to drizzle of various intensity which apparently is Iceland's garden variety rain.
I couldn't tell if that's true but if it is we are having rather foreign weather the whole day.
The weather report has forecast a dry spell at 10 a. m. which - most surprisingly - really happens and allows us to pack up the tent. It's one of the few times we are favourably impressed by the Icelandic weather report.
We stop by a desolate black beach at low tide, taking in the otherworldly, dark landscape around us, dotted by only the hardiest of plants. The rest of the day is rain. We follow the road westwards around the Snaefellsnes peninsula, the mountains hidden behind a wall of low hanging clouds, stepping out of the car only a few times.
At the parking lot we buy some fish and chips off a guy in a food truck who doesn't like the weather much either. It's supposed to be better north of the Snaefellsjokull so that's where we're headed. I don't remember much of the drive except green fields, broken by the cooler green and white of moss covering dark lava, the wet band of the road ahead leading on through the fog and the rain.




Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing knowledge with us. This site is fantastic. I always find great knowledge from it. Imprinted Stress Balls
AntwortenLöschen